The Local Government Association’s annual conference is the biggest event in the local government calendar. It also is one of the biggest political conferences of the year, regularly attracting over 1,100 delegates and keynote speakers from central and local government alike.
In June 2012, you can look forward to debates on economic growth, local leadership, new models of innovation in service delivery and a host of other issues.
It will also be happening just weeks away from the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games and attention will rightly turn to how economic growth can be generated across the country. The role of councils in creating jobs and wealth will be paramount.
With the forthcoming introduction of city mayors, policing and crime commissioners and health and well-being boards, councils will also need to demonstrate leadership at the heart of a new set of relationships between the citizen and the state. Pressure will be on local authorities more than ever to innovate, deliver and manage services differently.
- Rt Hon Eric Pickles MP, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
- Rt Hon Ed Balls MP, Shadow Chancellor
- Angela Maxwell, Founder, Acuwomen and board member of the West Midlands Enterprise Board
- Dame Clare Tickell, Chief Executive, Action for Children
- Darra Singh, Chairman of the Communities and Victims Panel
- David Holmes, Chief Executive, British Association of Adoption and Fostering
- Sir David Nicholson, Chief Executive of the NHS in England
- Geoff Mulgan, Chief Executive, NESTA
- Graham Allen MP
- Jim Barker-McCardle, Chief Constable, Essex Police
- John Taylor, Chief Executive, ACAS
- John Cridland, Director General,Confederation of British Industry
- Julia Unwin, Chief Executive, Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Kathryn Rossiter, Managing Director, SOLACE
- Louise Casey, Director General, Troubled Families, CLG
- Paul Burstow MP, Minister of State for Care Services
- Councillor Philippa Roe, Leader, London Borough of Westminster
Day 1 - 26 Jun 2012
Richard Aspinall, Head of Local Government, Vodafone
Day 2 - 27 Jun 2012
Introduction: Cllr David Rogers, Chairman, Community Well-being Board, LGA;
Keynote speech by Sir David Nicholson KCB CBE, Chief Executive of the NHS in England.
Panellists: Carolyn Downs, Chief Executive, LGA;
Graham Farrant, Chief Executive, Thurrock Council;
Paul Knight, 2011 LG Challenge winner.
Councillor Sir Richard Leese, Leader, Manchester City Council;
Councillor Philippa Roe, Leader, Westminster City Council;
Jim Barker-McCardle, Chief Constable, Essex Police;
Dr Huw Charles-Jones, Chair, West Cheshire Clinical Commissioning Group.
John Cridland, Director General, CBI;
Angela Maxwell OBE, Founder, Acuwomen and board member of the West Midlands Enterprise Board (and previously board member, Advantage West Midlands).
Day 3 - 28 Jun 2012
Panellists: Simon Weston, Falklands veteran;
Cllr Lisa Brett, Bath and North East Somerset Council;
Stephen Greenhalgh, Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime (DMPC) who heads up the newly formed "Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime" (MOPAC).